Why is proper skin care important?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Proper skin care is important because our skin is the largest barrier against infection that we have. Keeping our skin healthy and moist helps keep this barrier strong. When the skin gets dry or irritated by harsh soaps, cracks in the skin can occur. Cracks in the skin make a person more prone to infection. Skincare products should be free of scents or perfumes. Soaps should be gentle and moisturizers should be used daily.

Proper skin care helps to keep our outermost surface layer of skin intact. This layer maintains skin's overall hydration and serves as our primary defense against the environment, so keeping it strong and healthy is critical. Harsh cleansers, for example, can damage the outer layer by stripping essential lipids and moisture. Using a proper skin care regimen daily can help preserve this important protective layer.

Continue Learning about Daily Skin Care

Targeting Successful Psoriasis Treatment
Americans spend over $71 BILLION a year on lottery tickets—and scratch-off games are a huge favorite. But that’s nothing compared to the $112 BILLION ...
How should I care for my skin if I have an olive complexion?
This medium-toned skin type is common in people from Mediterranean regions or Latin American cou...
What should I do if I have fine lines and dull skin around my eyes and mouth?
Dr. Patricia K. Farris, MDDr. Patricia K. Farris, MD
Fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes and mouth will improve with topical retinoids. A low concent...
Why Is the Use of Sunscreen More Imperative Than Ever for Healthy Skin?