How can I count my walking steps without a pedometer?

You can count your walking steps a few ways without using a pedometer.  Your first way, count them out!  Tedious, yes, very!  However, the option is available.  A more realistic approach would be to estimate how far a tenth or a quarter of a mile is.  Count your steps for that length and then multiple by ten, if counting for a tenth of a mile, and you will have your distance for a mile.  If counting for a quarter of a mile then multiply that number by four and you will have your steps for a full mile.  In addition, the average person will require up to 2,000 steps for a full mile, that being said, you can estimate that each mile will requires 2,000 steps and you can figure out how many steps you complete by the amount of miles you walk.

Continue Learning about Walking

News: City Pollution May Blunt the Benefits of Walking
Walking is a nearly perfect exercise, especially for older adults. It strengthens your muscles, helps keep the pounds off, improves your balance and l...
Walking Gear: Look Good, Feel Great
Walking Gear: Look Good, Feel Great
You can roll out of bed and head for a walk wearing practically anything. But you'll be more comfortable -- less chafing, no extra fabric flapping aro...
Walking Motivation: 5 Ways to Make It a Habit
1. Schedule it. If you treat walking as an automatic "must" on your daily list -- like brushing your teeth or taking your vitamins -- then there's no ...
How can I dress appropriately when walking outside?
How can I dress appropriately when walking outside? As a general rule, wear comfortable walking shoe...