question

How can I count my walking steps without a pedometer?

Jonathan Penney
Jonathan Penney on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine
Fitness
answer

You can count your walking steps a few ways without using a pedometer.  Your first way, count them out!  Tedious, yes, very!  However, the option is available.  A more realistic approach would be to estimate how far a tenth or a quarter of a mile is.  Count your steps for that length and then multiple by ten, if counting for a tenth of a mile, and you will have your distance for a mile.  If counting for a quarter of a mile then multiply that number by four and you will have your steps for a full mile.  In addition, the average person will require up to 2,000 steps for a full mile, that being said, you can estimate that each mile will requires 2,000 steps and you can figure out how many steps you complete by the amount of miles you walk.

Continue Learning about Walking

Walking, but Not Losing Weight? 3 Reasons Why
1. You're rewarding yourself in the kitchen. It's easy to see a snack and think, "I can have that; I walked today!" True, you CAN -- but probably not ...
What are realistic goals I can set when walking for fitness?
What are realistic goals I can set when walking for fitness? Set goals you can measure using a pedom...
Is walking good aerobic exercise?
Is walking good aerobic exercise? Learn more from our experts about walking.
The Simple (and Free!) Way You Can Immediately Improve Your Health
The Simple (and Free!) Way You Can Immediately Improve Your HealthThe Simple (and Free!) Way You Can Immediately Improve Your HealthThe Simple (and Free!) Way You Can Immediately Improve Your HealthThe Simple (and Free!) Way You Can Immediately Improve Your Health
Lace 'em up and enjoy the many benefits of walking, including less stress, a lower risk of heart problems and much more. Sure, high-intensity interval...