What are sub-threshold rides?

Sub threshold workouts are specifically designed to improve your body's ability to utilize fuel more efficiently for long rides and races. By riding at 80-85% of your threshold heart rate, you teach your body to improve free fatty acid oxidation, which essentially spares limited muscle glycogen. You also increase mitochondrial density, the structures within muscles cells that are responsible for producing energy. Riding at sub-threshold pace also increases your muscle glycogen storage capacity thus improving your ability to produce more intense work later in your ride. Sub-threshold rides are a crucial component of any training session. Begin with three sets of fifteen minutes of sub-threshold work with fifteen minutes of recovery between efforts. Increase the time of the interval to twenty minutes, and then twenty five minutes as you are able to hold longer and longer intervals at sub-threshold pace. The goal is to increase the total amount of time at sub-threshold pace to two to three hours for Ironman racers, as this is likely race pace for Ironman distance racing. Be sure to properly warm up and cool down with this workout.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Boost Performance with Motivational Self-Talk
Wouldn’t it be great if you could change your body so you could swim better or run faster when you worked out? Well, Canadian researchers have shown y...
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves of...
Why do I get persistent pain over my sit bones when I increase my cycling?
The most likely explanation is that the bursae overlying the sit bones are inflamed. Increased frict...
What do I need to know to ride safely in a group?
Keep your head up: It is easy to get in the habit of looking directly at the back wheel of the p...