Should I ride with a pulled hamstring?

If your hamstring is not bothering you while you ride it is fine to continue with your training, although you may need to back down the intensity to prevent further muscle tears while you are still healing. Be sure to ice after your workout to prevent further inflammation and muscle damage as well. For 7-10 days you need to stay in the saddle and pick relatively flat routes until you have no further signs of pain or inflammation in the muscle. Being cautious for the next week insures proper healing of the muscle fibers so you are ready to race come cross season. If for any reason your condition does not resolve within one week, or worsens over the course of the week, you need to consult a physical therapist or doctor.

Continue Learning about Cycling

The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
In the 1979 movie Breaking Away, a determined 19-year-old “townie” competes against snotty college kids in a bike race and wins—despite a bad crash—by...
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves of...
Where should my hands go for quick cadence drills?
Quick cadence drills work on the leg turnover rate for a cyclist. It is a neuromuscular exercise...
How should I choose the right size bicycle for me?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing the right size bicycle: • For a road bike, keep...