Should I ride with a pulled hamstring?

If your hamstring is not bothering you while you ride it is fine to continue with your training, although you may need to back down the intensity to prevent further muscle tears while you are still healing. Be sure to ice after your workout to prevent further inflammation and muscle damage as well. For 7-10 days you need to stay in the saddle and pick relatively flat routes until you have no further signs of pain or inflammation in the muscle. Being cautious for the next week insures proper healing of the muscle fibers so you are ready to race come cross season. If for any reason your condition does not resolve within one week, or worsens over the course of the week, you need to consult a physical therapist or doctor.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Boost Performance with Motivational Self-Talk
Wouldn’t it be great if you could change your body so you could swim better or run faster when you worked out? Well, Canadian researchers have shown y...
The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
In the 1979 movie Breaking Away, a determined 19-year-old “townie” competes against snotty college kids in a bike race and wins—despite a bad crash—by...
How can I work circuit training into my cycling conditioning?
Circuit training is a great way to work both a cardiovascular and strength training session into...
Is bike riding good exercise?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Bike riding can be good exercise, and biking outdoors is a great way to connect with nature, burn ca...