What are the physiological benefits of long endurance rides?

Long rides that are considered endurance pace focus on building an aerobic energy system. Specifically, you can expect to increase size and strength in your slow-twitch muscle fibers. You will increase capillary density, so you can absorb more oxygen from circulating blood. You will increase mitochondria density, the structures within the muscles cells that produce ATP or energy, so you can produce more energy, quicker. You will also increase stroke volume, or the amount of blood each beat of the heart can pump so you can circulate more oxygen to working muscles per heart beat. Finally, you will improve temperature regulation and increase respiratory endurance. There are clearly a number of benefits at riding at an endurance pace below threshold. So it is an imperative part of any successful training program.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Boost Performance with Motivational Self-Talk
Wouldn’t it be great if you could change your body so you could swim better or run faster when you worked out? Well, Canadian researchers have shown y...
Give Cycling a Try
Give Cycling a Try
My parents told me I should give it a try. At the age of four, I was introduced to the bike. Not for competition, just for fun. I didn’t think about ...
What do I need to know before trying an indoor cycling class?
Indoor cycling classes are a great way to stay motivated while getting a good cardiovascular wor...
How often should I take a break during long rides?
While some riders take breaks every 20 miles for five minutes, others don’t take breaks at all. ...