What are the different types of specialty beds used in the ICU?

Julia Vicente, MSN
Critical Care Nursing
This depends on the facility preference and patients individual needs. Most facilities require some type of documentation to support the therapeutic use of a speciality bed and supporting documentation such a s wound evaluations and Braden scales. The exact type of bed used depends on what company the facility uses and what the patient needs. There are beds with sand, gel, and air mattresses, special overlays, beds to accomodate bariatric patients, beds for extensive wounds, beds for spinal immobilization and traction, and beds that rotate patients completely.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

What will happen at the emergency room if I don't have insurance?
Dr. Mark E. Caputo, MDDr. Mark E. Caputo, MD
Regardless of your ability to pay, all patients presenting to an emergency room (ER) are examined to...
What are the differences between Level I and Level II trauma centers?
Portsmouth Regional HospitalPortsmouth Regional Hospital
A level I trauma center provides education for students and residents, whereas a level II trauma cen...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Are the Limitations of Computers in Medicine?