How can condoms help men manage premature ejaculation?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
Condoms can help men manage premature ejaculation (PE). It’s a familiar complaint of lots of women: Their men don’t want to wear condoms because, they say, they blunt sensation. There’s some truth to that claim -- and that’s good news for guys with PE. In this case, safer sex can also be longer-lasting sex. Of course, the actual physical barrier of the latex can take a little of your edge off. You can also find a wide range of condoms marketed specifically to help you last longer. Most of them contain a little bit of benzocaine or another desensitizing agent in the tip that will numb the head of your penis slightly. While condoms won’t magically cure PE, they’re just one more means to helping you manage PE.
The Good in Bed Guide to Overcoming Premature Ejaculation

From the New York Times best-selling author of She Comes First arrives the definitive guide to managing premature ejaculation – a book that could save your sex life!Do you suffer from PE? Are you...

Continue Learning about Condoms

Can the HIV/AIDS virus get through a condom?
Roberto Posada, MDRoberto Posada, MD
Condoms, when used correctly, are extremely effective at preventing transmission of HIV through sexu...
I'm allergic to latex. Can I still use condoms?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
Yes, there are non-latex condoms available. These used to be mainly mail order items, but can now be...
How can I help my partner keep an erection when he puts on a condom?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
It's often helpful to incorporate putting on a condom as part of sex play. You can continue rubbing ...
Can we use plastic wrap or a balloon if we don't have a condom?
Carlos Mirabal, NASM Elite TrainerCarlos Mirabal, NASM Elite Trainer
Absolutely not.  Do not use plastic wrap or a balloon in place of a condom.  Condoms are made specif...