What are my options for colon cancer screening?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

There are several different kinds of cancer screening. Fecal occult blood testing is an annual test that looks for microscopic blood in the feces. Virtual colonoscopies (through CT scans), barium dyes with x-rays, or flexible sigmoidoscopies (a tubal review of the closest part of the colon) is recommended every five years. A full colonoscopy can be done every 10 years. Those at a high risk for colon cancer may get screenings more often.

Continue Learning about Colon Cancer

Beating Colon Cancer: What to Expect If You’re Diagnosed
Being diagnosed with colorectal cancer, a type of cancer that starts in the colon or rectum, can be devastating—and startling—news. These types of can...
How are the survival rates for colorectal cancer determined?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Survival rates are often used by doctors as a standard way of discussing a person's prognosis (outlo...
How often should I be screened for colorectal (colon) cancer?
The frequency of colon cancer screenings depends on your risk and the type of screening you receive....
Are Colon Screenings Necessary After Colon Cancer Surgery?