How long does chickenpox usually last?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Chickenpox usually sticks around for longer than you'd like. The blisters don't all appear at once. You'll find that some of the rash has blistered and is scabbing over when other parts are just starting to blister. All in all, it seems that it takes 10 days to as long as 21 days for the virus to get out of your system.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

How should I clean my child's skin if she has chickenpox?
Talk to your dermatologist about how to wash your child's skin when he or she has chickenpox. Th...
How long should I keep my child out of school with the chickenpox?
The trouble with chickenpox is that it is contagious for a good majority of the time your child has ...
Will a bath spread a chickenpox rash?
Don't worry. Baths will not spread the rash you have from chickenpox from one part of the body to an...
What is chickenpox (varicella)?
The classic diagnosis of chicken pox/varicella (viral) is made when you see three types of lesions a...