Can my child go to school if he or she has chickenpox?

Your child should not go to school if he or she has chickenpox. Chickenpox is extremely contagious and is spread by droplet, meaning your child can spread chickenpox by coughing on someone or someone coming in contact with the fluid from your child's skin lesions. Your child is usually contagious from 48 hours prior to the skin outbreak until all of the lesions have fully crusted over.

Chickenpox is very contagious. It can be spread by blister contact or through the air. Most schools will require your child to stay home for at least a few days.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

Could I have chickenpox and not even know it?
Yes, you could have chickenpox and not show signs of it. This is because the rash doesn't show up fo...
When should I call my child’s doctor about chickenpox?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor if your child: • Is lethargic (does not smile or show interest in playing ...
Will my unborn baby be immune to chickenpox if I already had it?
Yes, your baby will receive the antibodies to fight off chickenpox through the placenta. This is cal...
What should I know about taking care of a child with chickenpox?
You should know that if your child is otherwise healthy, then the chickenpox will probably turn ...