How long should I keep my child out of school with the chickenpox?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The trouble with chickenpox is that it is contagious for a good majority of the time your child has it. The contagious period ends when all the blisters have turned into brown, dried up scabs. So, this usually equates to about one school week.

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

If your child has chicken pox, you should keep him out of school until he is no longer contagious. Chicken pox, an infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus, is contagious 1 to 2 days before the first rash breaks out and for another 5 to 7 days afterward. Your child is contagious until a full day after the last blister develops and should not return to school until the last rash has crusted over. Most patients are no longer contagious after a week, but it may take another week or more in some cases.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

How long does chickenpox usually last?
Chickenpox usually sticks around for longer than you'd like. The blisters don't all appear at once. ...
What is chickenpox (varicella)?
The classic diagnosis of chicken pox/varicella (viral) is made when you see three types of lesions a...
When should I call my child’s doctor about chickenpox?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor if your child: • Is lethargic (does not smile or show interest in playing ...
Where on the body does the chickenpox rash spread?
The rash associated with chickenpox usually begins on the face, chest, and back, and can pretty much...