How long should I keep my child out of school with the chickenpox?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

If your child has chicken pox, you should keep him out of school until he is no longer contagious. Chicken pox, an infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus, is contagious 1 to 2 days before the first rash breaks out and for another 5 to 7 days afterward. Your child is contagious until a full day after the last blister develops and should not return to school until the last rash has crusted over. Most patients are no longer contagious after a week, but it may take another week or more in some cases.

The trouble with chickenpox is that it is contagious for a good majority of the time your child has it. The contagious period ends when all the blisters have turned into brown, dried up scabs. So, this usually equates to about one school week.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

How long will my child with chickenpox be contagious?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
A child with chickenpox is contagious about two days before the rash appears and until all the sores...
Is there a way I can find out if I ever had chickenpox?
Yes, if you don't remember having chickenpox you can find out through a blood test. Although you...
Could I have chickenpox and not even know it?
Yes, you could have chickenpox and not show signs of it. This is because the rash doesn't show up fo...
Is chickenpox serious?
When chickenpox infects a normally healthy child, it usually will clear up without special treat...