Why might I need radiation after breast cancer surgery?

After undergoing a lumpectomy to remove the part of the breast affected by breast cancer, most women must undergo radiation therapy treatments to eliminate microscopic cancer cells that might remain undetected by clinical examination or breast imaging in order to decrease the risk of local recurrence. The standard course of breast irradiation delivers radiation to the entire breast, and consists of six to seven weeks of therapy given five days a week. Some patients may be candidates for shorter courses of radiation or partial breast radiation. 

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Prophylactic Mastectomy May Have No Benefit
Christina Applegate (2008) and Sharon Osborne (2012) opted for double mastectomies after discovering breast cancer in one breast. They wanted to reduc...
What can I expect after a mastectomy in the short term?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
After the mastectomy, most patients stay 1 to 2 nights in the hospital and longer with certain t...
How do radiation and chemotherapy for breast cancer differ?
Shelby A. Terstriep, MDShelby A. Terstriep, MD
Radiation is used to treat the area where the breast cancer was removed to try to kill any cancer ce...
Is Hormone Therapy Effective for Breast Cancer?