Which hormonal therapies are most effective for breast cancer?

Recent clinical trials have demonstrated that aromatase inhibitors (AIs) are more effective than tamoxifen at reducing breast cancer recurrences in post-menopausal women, but for pre-menopausal women, tamoxifen is the treatment of choice. Many patients treated at Columbia University Medical Center have participated in national clinical trials to study these treatments and to better understand the optimal duration of their use.
Dennis L. Citrin, MD
Hematology & Oncology

The purpose of hormone therapy is to reduce estrogen stimulation for women with estrogen receptor positive breast cancer.  This can be accomplished in pre-menopausal women with the drug Tamoxifen, or with surgical removal of the ovaries.  In post-menopausal women, whose ovaries no longer produce estrogen, drugs called aromatase inhibitors are used to reduce estrogen production to a minimum.  Based on the individual patient, other hormonal therapies may also be recommended. 

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Ask the Experts: Metastatic Breast Cancer Treatments
In this video, Darria Long Gillespie, MD, an emergency physician and Sharecare’s Senior Vice President of Clinical Strategy, discusses chemotherapy, r...
How can exercise help with breast cancer treatment?
Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)
Breast cancer and its treatment can affect your physical functioning and energy. For instance, many ...
What tests will I undergo before a mastectomy?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
In order to determine if a mastectomy is advisable, you will undergo several imaging tests in the br...
Why I Care: Dr. Tonya Echols Cole
Why I Care: Dr. Tonya Echols Cole