What is prone breast radiation treatment?

Prone breast radiation treatment is the use of breast radiation while the woman is in a prone position, or face downward. This style of breast radiation treatment can be particularly effective for women with large breasts. Prone breast radiation utilizes a breast board, which allows the breast(s) to hang below the woman as she is in the prone position. Previously, radiation treatments utilized the supine, or face up, position. In the supine position the breasts sink close to the chest wall. The prone position results in decreased skin folds and can help target radiation treatments directly to the breast tissue in question as opposed to deeper into the vulnerable lung or heart.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Metastatic Breast Cancer: Understanding Targeted Therapy
Targeted therapies are a type of cancer treatment that work by blocking or inhibiting the function of specific molecules found in cancer cells, which ...
Can I get breast cancer if I've had a mastectomy?
Christina Goldstein-Charbonneau, DOChristina Goldstein-Charbonneau, DO
Breast Cancer can be unpredictable and unfortunately there can be no guarantees that it will not ret...
How important is lymph node dissection in the treatment of breast cancer?
Dr. Cary Hsu, MDDr. Cary Hsu, MD
About 25% of women who have a lymph node dissection have side effects, so it’s an operation to be av...
How Can I Lower My Risk of Breast Cancer?