How important is it for a breast doctor to be current on cancer research?

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Dr. Todd Tuttle comments, “Because breast cancer research changes so quickly, it’s very hard for a surgeon who devotes only a small portion of his practice to breast cancer to be able to keep up with the latest developments, which are literally coming every week.”

Ask a prospective breast cancer doctor, “What is the most recent thing you learned about breast cancer?” The best answer to this question is not so much what the doctor says but how easily the response rolls off his tongue.

If the doctor is truly an excellent oncologist or surgeon who does enough breast work, he will be able to tell you something like, “Well, I read an article last week” or “I went to a conference last

month.” But if the doctor is groping for an answer, that means he doesn’t do enough investigation for himself to really know what your best choices for breast cancer care are.
The 10 Best Questions for Surviving Breast Cancer: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after a diagnosis of breast cancer. Drawing on cutting-edge...

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Treatment

Ask the Experts: Metastatic Breast Cancer Treatments
In this video, Darria Long Gillespie, MD, an emergency physician and Sharecare’s Senior Vice President of Clinical Strategy, discusses chemotherapy, r...
How should I choose a breast cancer treatment facility?
Helena R. Chang, MDHelena R. Chang, MD
A facility with a team of breast cancer experts is a good place to seek a consultation not only for ...
What does axillary clearance mean?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
When the breast cancer surgeon removes all the lymph nodes under the armpit, this is called axillary...
Is Hormone Therapy Effective for Breast Cancer?