How are infections from breast implants treated?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Once foreign objects like breast implants develop infections, removal is the usual outcome, since the bacteria can't be killed if they hide inside the body but outside the reach of the immune system. Even when the implants are removed, the bad news is that bacteria can live in a very quiet state within scar tissue and cause another infection when another implant is placed.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Thankfully breast implant infections are quite rare. However, if it should occur, the patient will most likely require explantation of the prosthetic device and a drain placement for 1 week. Also, the fluid must be cultured for aerobic, anaerobic, and fungal processes. Once the sensitivities are determined, the antibiotics can be titrated and established. The patient should be started on oral antibiotics and the breast should be examined daily for changes. Symptoms of infection include fever, swelling, edema, pain and fluid within the pocket (abscess). A new implant must not be replaced until the pocket in clean (at least 3-5 months later).

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

Are polyurethane-coated breast implants safe?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
In the 1980s, thousands of women received the Meme, a polyurethane-coated implant. Although the ...
What activities will I need to avoid after breast implant surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Some of the issues that we try to impress upon our patients during the postoperative visit after...
Will Insurance Cover Any Part of Breast Augmentation Surgery Costs?
What Should I Expect When Recovering From Breast Augmentation Surgery?