What is the correlation between body fat and body weight?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness
Body fat is the portion of your total weight that is fatty (adipose) tissue. Body weight includes body fat and all other components of your body including bone, organs, fluid, muscle, etc. Body fat is typically shown as a percentage of your total weight. For example, someone weighing 200 lbs with 20% body fat has ~40 pounds of fat (20% of 200=40).
Because of individual differences in muscularity, your fitness level is generally defined better by your percentage of body fat rather than body weight, including where you store most body fat, such as hips or abdomen.
Body weight is determined by two factors: The amount of energy needed and used by your body and the amount of energy you take in as food. If you are active regularly, your proportion of muscle to fat increases and you maintain a higher metabolism, which can help to manage weight. That’s because muscle tissue is active tissue, constantly being torn down and rebuilt. Fat is an inactive substance that is simply a stored form of energy. Because muscle tissue burns more calories than fat, a person who has more muscle will have a higher metabolism than someone who weighs the same but has a higher proportion of body fat.

Weight Watchers can help you lose weight and keep it off.

Weight Watchers offers a comprehensive approach to weight loss that can help you reach your goals.
Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

The number on your scale represents your total weight, not the relationship of fat to muscle or the body composition. While being overweight is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes, it is not the critical risk factor. Correctly stated, it is increased body fat that is associated with type 2 diabetes, not increased body weight. While there is a strong correlation between body weight and body fat content, people of normal body weight can develop type 2 diabetes if they have an increased body fat percentage, especially if that excess fat is collecting around the waist or gut. That spare tire, or accumulation of fat around your middle, can lead to what is referred to as "metabolic obesity."

Hunger Free Forever: The New Science of Appetite Control

From two leading authorities on appetite control, obesity, natural medicine, and food comes a breakthrough in getting healthy and staying slim without starving.Millions have spent years searching for...

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

Weighty Matters: How Excess Weight Is Ruining Your Future—and Your Kids Future Too
One more time we’re weighing in on the goodness of maintaining a healthy weight. And we have some intriguing new insights into weighty matters—and inn...
How can I determine my body type?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Knowing your body type can help you determine how and where to focus your weight loss efforts. When ...
How can I figure out my BMI?
Alberto Gamboa, NASM Elite TrainerAlberto Gamboa, NASM Elite Trainer
Ideal weight calculator (body mass index) is a reliable indicator of your body’s fitness level, and ...
What Are the Health Risks of Belly Fat?
What Are the Health Risks of Belly Fat?