Why is it important to know my body mass index?

BMI is used for risk assessment for the general population. Generally speaking, as a person's BMI increases, so does his or her risk of certain diseases. However, BMI does not distinguish between body fat and lean body mass and does not take into account location of body fat. For this reason, it's not an accurate measure of health for certain populations, such as people with higher than average muscle mass or people whose body composition may be skewed for other reasons.

Note: BMI is not an appropriate measure for athletes, children, pregnant women, or the elderly.

Wendy Batts
Fitness
Your BMI is often used by the medical community and health agencies to assess one’s risk for weight related diseases. BMI can give you an idea of your individual risk by placing you in a particular weight category. It is not the only risk indication tool out there but it is easy to perform and can be a great start in assessing risk. The BMI weight categories are based on the relationship between body weight and disease.

It is difficult to improve what we cannot measure; and BMI an additional number that we can use to measure our progress.
Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness
BMI is a measure of your general health and is based on your height and weight ratio. If your BMI is high, you may have an increased risk of developing certain diseases including:
  • high blood pressure
  • heart disease
  • high cholesterol and blood lipids (LDL)
  • Type 2 Diabetes
  • sleep apnea
  • osteoarthritis
  • female infertility
  • gastroesophageal reflux (GERD)
  • urinary stress incontinence

The following is a chart of BMI ranges:  http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf

The following is a BMI calculator: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bmi-calculator/NU00597

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

Will hydration play a role in calculating lean body mass?
Will hydration play a role in calculating lean body mass? Yes; depending on your method of tracking ...
What is the correlation between body fat and body weight?
Correctly stated, it is increased body fat that is associated with type 2 diabetes, not increased bo...
How Are Body Mass Index (BMI) and Waist Size Related to Obesity?
How Do I Measure My Waist to Hip Ratio?
How Do I Measure My Waist to Hip Ratio?