question

Can I donate blood if I have an STD?

American Red Cross
American Red Cross
answer
You must wait 12 months after treatment for syphilis or gonorrhea before you are eligible to donate blood.
You may donate blood if you have chlamydia, venereal warts (human papilloma virus), or genital herpes and you are feeling healthy and well and meet all other eligibility requirements.
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

What is the nucleic acid test (NAT)?
What is the nucleic acid test (NAT)? The nucleic acid test (NAT) system can detect the presence of b...
How do white blood cells fight infection?
White blood cells and infection. Learn how various types of white blood cells work in the body to at...
What is the D antigen (Rh factor) in the blood?
What is the D antigen (Rh factor) in the blood? Learn more from our experts about D antigen (Rh fact...
Can I donate blood if I have been incarcerated?
Can I donate blood if I have been incarcerated? Persons who have been detained or incarcerated in a ...