Can I donate blood if I have a skin disease?

You may donate blood as long as the skin over the vein to be used to collect blood is not affected. If the skin disease has become infected, wait until the infection has cleared before donating. Taking antibiotics to control acne does not disqualify you from donating.
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Does the body adjust to altitude changes?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Our bodies make adjustments at higher altitudes. They create more red blood cells to carry oxygen th...
What is the aorta?
CTSurgeryPatients.orgCTSurgeryPatients.org
The aorta is the main artery that carries blood out of the heart to the rest of the body. Blood flow...