Should I wait to donate blood if I have received a vaccination?

You may donate blood if you were vaccinated for influenza, tetanus or meningitis, providing you are symptom-free and fever-free. This includes the Tdap vaccine. You may donate blood if you received an HPV Vaccine, for example, Gardasil.
 The list below shows the wait times for donating blood after receiving a vaccination:
- Wait 4 weeks after immunizations for German Measles (Rubella), MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella), Chicken Pox and Shingles.
- Wait 2 weeks after immunizations for Red Measles (Rubeola), Mumps, Polio (by mouth), and Yellow Fever vaccine.
- Wait 21 days after immunization for hepatitis B as long as you are not given the immunization for exposure to hepatitis
- Wait 8 weeks (56 days) from the date of having a smallpox vaccination as long as you have had no complications. Complications may include skin reactions beyond the vaccination site or general illness related to the vaccination.
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Can lesbians donate blood if they do not have other risk factors?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Yes, lesbians can donate blood if they do not have other risk factors.
Where do red blood cells get recycled in the body?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Red blood cells (RBCs) get recycled in the spleen. When RBCs are worn out, they head to the spleen. ...