Do I have to wait to give blood after having ear or body piercings?

You may donate blood as long as the instruments used were sterile or single-use equipment. You must wait 12 months if there is any question whether or not the instruments used were sterile and free of blood contamination. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis.
 Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Should I provide my own donors?
Steven S. Scott, MDSteven S. Scott, MD
If you are going to have an operation and will have a significant chance of needing a blood transfus...
Why are red blood cells wider than white blood cells?
Red blood cells are wider than white blood cells so that they have more carrying capacity to transpo...