Can I donate blood if I have a cold or the flu?

You should not donate blood when you're sick. In fact, the National Institutes of Health says that you should be free of cold and flu symptoms for at least 48 hours before you give blood.

Symptoms of the flu include a cough, fever, headache, chills, muscle aches, and sore throat. Cold symptoms may be similar, but colds are less likely to cause fever or headaches.

You can’t donate blood if you have a fever, a productive cough, if you do not feel well, or if you are taking antibiotics to treat a sinus, throat, or lung infection.
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
What do the different types of blood cells do?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Following are the different types of blood cells and what they do: Red blood cells carry oxygen a...
What happens to my donated blood?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When you donate blood to the Red Cross, you’ll give enough blood to fill a blood bag plus several sm...