question

Can I donate blood if I have hepatitis?

American Red Cross
American Red Cross
answer
If you have had hepatitis (inflammation of the liver) caused by a virus, or unexplained jaundice (yellow discoloration of the skin), since age 11, you are not eligible to donate blood. This includes those who have had hepatitis with Cytomegalovirus (CMV), or Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV), the virus that causes Mononucleosis.
It is acceptable to donate blood if you have had jaundice or hepatitis caused by something other than a viral infection, for example: medications, Gilbert’s disease, bile duct obstruction, alcohol, gallstones or trauma to the liver.
If you have ever tested positive for hepatitis B or hepatitis C, at any age, you are not eligible to donate, even if you were never sick or jaundiced from the infection.
Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

What is the D antigen (Rh factor) in the blood?
What is the D antigen (Rh factor) in the blood? Learn more from our experts about D antigen (Rh fact...
Can I donate blood if I have used intravenous drugs?
Can I donate blood if I have used intravenous drugs? Those who have ever used IV drugs that were not...
Can I donate blood if I am taking birth control?
Can I donate blood if I am taking birth control? Women on oral contraceptives or using other forms o...
Can I donate blood if I have had a blood transfusion?
Can I donate blood if I have had a blood transfusion? In the United States is necessary for you to w...