Why is ADHD more common in boys?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
You may wonder why boys are three times more likely to be diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) than girls. One reason that boys are labeled with ADHD is because of the symptoms they display. Boys with ADHD are more likely to act out. They tend to be more hyperactive than girls, causing problems at home and in the classroom. As a result, boys are sent for ADHD diagnosis and treatment.

Girls with ADHD tend to be overlooked. As they enter their teenage years, depression, anxiety, and panic disorders emerge. They start to abuse drugs and alcohol. Yet, ADHD treatments could still be helpful for teenage girls. Screening tools need to address these gender differences so both boys and girls with ADHD get the treatment they need.

Continue Learning about ADHD

signs and symptoms of adhd in adults
signs and symptoms of adhd in adults
attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (adhd ) is a condition that often starts in childhood . and as you grow into adulthood , the symptoms typical...
how should i discipline a child with adhd ?
Children who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more likely to have discipline...
how does sugar consumption affect adhd ?
Sugar doesn't cause attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or its symptoms, but people who ...
what can i do at home to help my child with adhd ?