Why is ADHD more common in boys?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
You may wonder why boys are three times more likely to be diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) than girls. One reason that boys are labeled with ADHD is because of the symptoms they display. Boys with ADHD are more likely to act out. They tend to be more hyperactive than girls, causing problems at home and in the classroom. As a result, boys are sent for ADHD diagnosis and treatment.

Girls with ADHD tend to be overlooked. As they enter their teenage years, depression, anxiety, and panic disorders emerge. They start to abuse drugs and alcohol. Yet, ADHD treatments could still be helpful for teenage girls. Screening tools need to address these gender differences so both boys and girls with ADHD get the treatment they need.
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is more common in boys, because it's believed that people with ADHD have a problem with a gene on the X chromosome. Women (who have two Xs) have a back-up system that might be able to handle the malfunction that leads to ADHD, whereas men have an X and a Y chromosome and therefore no back-up system.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Teens with ADHD and the Challenges Families Face
The teen years can be a roller-coaster ride for most children and families, thanks to hormone changes and boundary pushing. With attention deficit/hyp...
What can adults with ADHD do if they find getting organized difficult?
People with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may consider hiring an organizationa...
What is ring of fire attention deficit disorder (ADD)?
Amen Clinics, Inc.Amen Clinics, Inc.
In ring of fire attention deficit disorder (ADD), there is a pattern of overall high activity in the...
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration