Why is ADHD more common in boys?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
You may wonder why boys are three times more likely to be diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) than girls. One reason that boys are labeled with ADHD is because of the symptoms they display. Boys with ADHD are more likely to act out. They tend to be more hyperactive than girls, causing problems at home and in the classroom. As a result, boys are sent for ADHD diagnosis and treatment.

Girls with ADHD tend to be overlooked. As they enter their teenage years, depression, anxiety, and panic disorders emerge. They start to abuse drugs and alcohol. Yet, ADHD treatments could still be helpful for teenage girls. Screening tools need to address these gender differences so both boys and girls with ADHD get the treatment they need.
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is more common in boys, because it's believed that people with ADHD have a problem with a gene on the X chromosome. Women (who have two Xs) have a back-up system that might be able to handle the malfunction that leads to ADHD, whereas men have an X and a Y chromosome and therefore no back-up system.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

5 Ways to Help ADHD Kids Succeed at School
School can be tough for children for a lot of different reasons. For kids dealing with ADHD and school, succeeding can be especially difficult because...
How is sloppiness related to creativity in adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you have adult attention deficit disorder (ADD), there may be a direct connection between your ...
The Bright Side of ADHD
The Bright Side of ADHDThe Bright Side of ADHDThe Bright Side of ADHDThe Bright Side of ADHD
Discover the positive traits linked to ADHD and how to use them to your advantage.
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
Coping With ADHD Frustrations