<div><strong><span style="font-size:10.0pt"><a href="/health/add-adhd/what-attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder">Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)</a> </span></strong><span style="font-size:10.0pt">is defined as inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity that interferes with functions at home, work and school, and in social situations. One of the most common childhood disorders, ADHD can continue through <strong><a href="/health/add-adhd/can-adults-have-adhd">adolescence and adulthood</a></strong>. </span></div>More About ADHD
Gain Control Over Negative Self-TalkFind Out How
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Constance Mofunanya, DNP
What does attention deficit mean in ADHD?
<p>Attention deficit means inability to pay attention. In people with this disorder, inattention appears when they are involved in a task that requires vigilance, rapid reaction time, visual and perceptual search, and systematic and sustained learning. This disorder impedes development of academic skills, thinking and reasoning strategies, motivation for school, and adjustment to social demands. People with this disorder tend to be hands- on learners and have difficulty in passive learning situations that require continuous performance and task completion. Diagnosis of attention deficit requires at least 6 of the 9 possible symptoms. DSM-IV criteria require that symptoms criteria must be present in at least at two settings (home and school) and present before age 7.</p><p>Specific symptoms of inattention are</p><ul><li>Dose not pay attention to detail</li><li>Has difficulty sustaining attention at school</li><li>Dose not seem to listen when spoken to </li><li>Does not follow through on instructions or finish task</li><li>Has difficulty organizing task</li><li>Avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that requires sustained mental effort</li><li>Often losses things </li><li>Is easily distracted</li><li>Is forgetful</li></ul>
- QWhat can I do for my teen with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?
- QHow do I know if I have ADHD as an adult?
- QHow can I manage the stress of parenting a child who has ADHD?
- QIs ADHD a learning disability?
- QWhat is attention deficit disorder (ADD)?
- QWhen was Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) first discovered?
- QWill neurofeedback help people who have ADHD?
- QWhat does ADHD stand for?
- QHow can I work with my child's school and teachers to help my ADHD child learn?
- QWhat is parent training for ADHD?
- QIs ADHD a real disorder?
- QHow can school teachers help my child with ADHD?
- QWhat type of ADHD is most common in girls?
- QWhat percentage of the population has ADHD?
- QHow does attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) affect adults and teens?
- QWill my child outgrow ADHD?
- QDoes attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) go away with time?
- QHow do I know if my child has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?
- QIs attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) serious?
- QWhat do I need to know about caring for a child with ADHD?
- QHow should I discipline a child with ADHD?
- QWhat are the subtypes of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?
- QCan adults have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?
- QDo children with ADHD experience emotional sensitivity or other problems?