Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?

Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker in the morning after pooling and drying in the nose overnight, and you might notice that the mucus becomes clearer throughout the day. Signs that you may need an antibiotic include symptoms for greater than 10 to 14 days, initial improvement in symptoms followed by sudden worsening, severe sinus pain or tenderness and fever. Please see your doctor for further evaluation if these symptoms are present.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

can overuse of antibiotics cause liver damage ?
Certain antibiotics can cause damage to the liver, some types such as isoniazid, nitrofurantoin,...
should antibiotics be banned in animal feed ?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...
does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose ?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...
what should i know about trovafloxacin and azithromycin before taking them ?
It is not known if azithromycin eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 1 year old. If yo...