Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?

Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker in the morning after pooling and drying in the nose overnight, and you might notice that the mucus becomes clearer throughout the day. Signs that you may need an antibiotic include symptoms for greater than 10 to 14 days, initial improvement in symptoms followed by sudden worsening, severe sinus pain or tenderness and fever. Please see your doctor for further evaluation if these symptoms are present.
Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
A common misconception exists among those suffering from cold and or flu symptoms regarding the color of the mucous. This is an important point. Patients do not benefit from antibiotics even in the presence of green or thick sputum. That is, the color of the sputum was not found to be an indicator of bacterial involvement as viral pathogens also produce thick yellow and green tinted mucous.

So when you have a cold, a fever, sore throat, body aches, nasal congestion, and are coughing up thick yellow or green mucous, medications are not indicated and are not supported by the scientific data. In fact, medication will not make you get better faster and will not prevent further complications.
Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free

In Super Immunity, world-renowned health expert and New York Times bestselling author of Eat to Live Dr. Joel Fuhrman offers a nutritional guide to help you live longer, stronger, and disease...

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
How does antibiotic resistance affect healthcare costs?
Antibiotic resistance is an economic burden on the entire healthcare system. Resistant infections co...
Why are antibiotics prescribed to people with COPD?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antibiotics are frequently used during bronchitic exacerbations to fight bacterial infections due to...