Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?

This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the most common side effects of antibiotics. In addition, the loose stools may just be part of the original illness. As long as you keep your child hydrated by giving plenty of fluids, the loose stools shouldn’t cause any harm (although you may have to treat a diaper rash). The diarrhea will likely stop soon after the antibiotic course is completed and the illness is over. Do not stop the antibiotic without calling your pediatrician first. Some physicians now suggest giving yogurt with live cultures or probiotics to help replace the good gut bacteria that antibiotics can wipe out.
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...
How do antibiotics work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Antibiotics kill single-cell organisms called bacteria. If bacteria make it past our immune systems ...
Do antibiotic ointments have any side effects?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
Triple antibiotic agents are usually creams or ointments that contain 3 antimicrobial agents. The id...
How can I safely take antibiotics?
Do not demand antibiotics when a doctor says they are not needed. Do not take an antibiotic for a vi...