What effect does sexual arousal have on a woman’s genitals?

When a woman is sexually aroused, a variety of changes take place in her genitals and elsewhere on her body. Many women aren’t aware of these changes, but understanding them can help make sex a more enjoyable experience, by giving women and their partners a better sense of what to expect, and alerting a woman to changes in her sexual response.

During arousal, blood flow to the genitals increases. The increased blood flow helps to spur the production of vaginal lubrication, and causes swelling in the clitoris, labia minora, labia majora, and vagina. How much lubrication a woman produces varies widely and also from one sexual encounter to the next, since stress, hormonal fluctuations and even common medications like antihistamines all can affect it. The amount of vaginal lubrication that a woman produces may also vary throughout her menstrual cycle, as well as with age.

As arousal continues, the labia minora and majora may swell in size and deepen their natural color. The vagina expands and lengthens, too, as the uterus is pulled upward into the body, changing the position of the cervix. As arousal continues, the vaginal opening tightens and the clitoris retracts underneath the clitoral hood, protecting the nerve-rich clitoris from direct stimulation, which may feel uncomfortable. Feelings of tingling, throbbing, and fullness may be felt throughout the pelvic area.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Viagra for Menstrual Cramps?
Viagra for Menstrual Cramps?
Between 2006 and 2010, erectile dysfunction medication manufacturers spent $1.1 BILLION dollars on TV ads (which kids viewed 102 billion times, but th...
How does ovulation affect my body?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
Prior to ovulation the dominant female hormone is estrogen. While estrogen production does continue ...
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know4 Simple DIY Health Checks Every Woman Should Know
Incredibly easy self-exams for health conscious ladies on-the-go.
How Can I Manage the Pain from Endometriosis?