After eating a big meal, when will it show on the scale?

A big meal will be immediately apparent on the scale, in the amount of how much you ate. Eat 2 pounds of food, and you'll be 2 pounds heavier. With a healthy diet and regular exercise, this is balanced out by our bodies converting food into energy over time. If we eat more calories than we use up, then gradually we keep gaining weight. Some foods, especially foods that are high in sodium, can cause us to retain excess water, which would mean gaining MORE than just the weight of the meal. So the effect of a single meal can possibly be greater than the meal itself and show up later.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Don't Blame Yourself
Don't Blame Yourself
Most diets aren’t about action; they’re about thoughts. You spend so much time thinking about not having food, that you develop only two sets of stand...
Should I use my scale to monitor weight loss?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
While you can certainly achieve better fitness without it, your scale can be helpful if you use it c...
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
Slimming down can do wonders for your waistline and your cholesterol levels.
How to Avoid Knee Surgery With Osteoarthritis