Should I weigh myself in the morning or evening?

Manuel Villacorta
For all of us, the best time to weigh ourselves is in the morning. That's the time you'll find your true weight. Always use a calibrated, accurate scale, and do it first thing when you wake up. I like to recommend weighing in one day a week -- the same day each week. Not much happens day to day, so checking up once a week will show your true progress. Make sure your scale is on a firm and flat floor. If you do this, you'll see more changes and better accuracy than if you weigh yourself every day. When you weigh every day, you tend not to see the results you expect and you may become discouraged. Worst of all, if you weigh yourself multiple times a day, your weight goes up. Sounds obvious, but you'd be amazed how many people weigh themselves throughout the day and get upset that their weight changes as they consume more. Fluid and food increase the numbers artificially.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...
Watch this video to learn more from me about weight.

The key is to maintain consistency in the time of day you weigh yourself. If your starting weight was taken in the morning, then your regular weigh-ins should be in the morning. Obviously, you will weigh less in the morning than at night. I weigh in at night for motivational purposes!
Whether you are trying to gain or lose weight, the most important thing to remember about weighing yourself is to do it at the same time of the day every time. It does not matter what time, just be consistent with the time.

Continue Learning about Weight Guidelines

Who should lose weight?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
Well not everyone should lose weight. What you have to look at is what your goals are and where you...
What is the effect of weight gain on health?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
If we struggle with our weight, we may experience anything along the spectrum of physical and emotio...
Why should I care about my weight?
Andrea Ingram , NASM Elite TrainerAndrea Ingram , NASM Elite Trainer
Your body belongs to you and you have the ability to control what you feed it and how often you move...
How Weight Affects Your RealAge
How Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAge
How old are you really? Find out how weight impacts how long you'll live.