What muscles are involved in walking?

Walking can actually be considered a full body exercise. Although the locomotion comes from the work the legs are doing, the arms still have to swing, and the core still has to work to stabilize you while you’re moving. The primary muscles involved in walking are the muscles of the lower leg (soleus, gastrocnemius, tibialis anterior/posterior, and peroneals), and the thigh/knee (vastus lateralis, medialis, obliques, and rectus femoris).

Continue Learning about Walking

where are good places to walk with my child ?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Walking with your child can occur most anywhere.  The first place will be your neighborhood.  As lon...
is walking backward a way to sculpt my legs ?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
Resistance training in the form of lunges and squats, and certain exercise machines that allow you t...
what foods should i avoid when starting a walking program ?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Avoid foods that are high in sugars and high in fat. You want to focus on eating clean natural food....
how does exercise help manage diabetes ?