What is the serving size of meat in the USDA MyPlate model?

Toby Smithson

Based on a 2000 calorie per day diet, it is recommended to consume 5.5 ounces of protein per day. One ounce is equal to one ounce of lean beef, poultry, pork, chicken, turkey, or fish; or 1 egg; 1 tablespoon peanut butter; ½ ounce nuts; or ¼ cup beans or peas. Each of these examples are equivalent to a 1 ounce portion so you may have a tablespoon of peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat toast and a banana for breakfast; half of a whole chicken breast grilled on a whole grain bun with a side salad and a slice of melon for lunch; and for dinner a hamburger made from lean beef and the size of your palm of your hand along with baked sweet potato fries and steamed green beans.

The "meat group" is now called the "protein group" in MyPlate. According to the USDA, a serving is considered 1 ounce of meat, poultry or fish, ¼ cup cooked beans, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, or ½ ounce of nuts or seeds.

Adults should have 5 to 7 ounces of protein daily depending upon their needs

MyPlate, USDA's food pyramid

Continue Learning about USDA MyPlate

How can I use the MyPlate recommendations to help my family eat healthier?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The new MyPlate is a great visual tool for teaching your whole family how to eat healthier. It is a ...
How can I find out more information about the USDA MyPlate recommendations?
Bethany ThayerBethany Thayer
The USDA has created a website with all the information you need. Visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Should seniors follow the USDA MyPlate recommendations?
Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.
The USDA MYPlate is a useful tool for everyone, no matter what their age. As you get older and espec...
What are the goals of the USDA MyPlate nutrition recommendations?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
According to the recommendations of the new food guide pyramid, some goals include: Make half yo...