What is the serving size of meat in the USDA MyPlate model?

The "meat group" is now called the "protein group" in MyPlate. According to the USDA, a serving is considered 1 ounce of meat, poultry or fish, ¼ cup cooked beans, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, or ½ ounce of nuts or seeds.

Adults should have 5 to 7 ounces of protein daily depending upon their needs

MyPlate, USDA's food pyramid
Toby Smithson

Based on a 2000 calorie per day diet, it is recommended to consume 5.5 ounces of protein per day. One ounce is equal to one ounce of lean beef, poultry, pork, chicken, turkey, or fish; or 1 egg; 1 tablespoon peanut butter; ½ ounce nuts; or ¼ cup beans or peas. Each of these examples are equivalent to a 1 ounce portion so you may have a tablespoon of peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat toast and a banana for breakfast; half of a whole chicken breast grilled on a whole grain bun with a side salad and a slice of melon for lunch; and for dinner a hamburger made from lean beef and the size of your palm of your hand along with baked sweet potato fries and steamed green beans.

Continue Learning about USDA MyPlate

How can I explain the USDA MyPlate recommendations to my children?
How can I explain the USDA MyPlate recommendations to my children? Learn more from our experts about...
What happened to the old USDA food pyramid?
What happened to the old USDA food pyramid? It appears the USDA MyPyramid food guidance system was r...
Do I need to follow the USDA MyPlate exactly to eat healthy?
Do I need to follow the USDA MyPlate exactly to eat healthy? Learn more from our experts about the U...
How do the USDA MyPlate recommendations differ from the food pyramid?
How do the USDA MyPlate recommendations differ from the food pyramid? Learn more from our experts ab...