Is a kidney infection contagious?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A kidney infection is not contagious, in that you could catch it by being near someone or touching them. However, the bacteria can be given to an older person via a nurse or caregiver not performing proper hand washing. It might be spread from one patient in a hospital to another patient by the same route. A nurse or doctor may not use proper sterile technique while inserting a urinary catheter. This is especially dangerous around a patient with a weakened immune system.

Continue Learning about Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)

Need an Escape From UTIs? Wash it Out With Water
Remember Adam Sandler in Billy Madison? Bill Paxton in True Lies? And, most poignant, Jeremy Blackman in Magnolia? In those movies it’s the males who,...
How can I prevent a urinary tract infection (UTI)?
Urinary tract infections(UTIs) can be painful and hard to get rid of. Find out what you can do to pr...
Can I catch a UTI from my partner during sex?
These are the risk factors associated with urinary tract infections (UTIs): history of repeat UTIs, ...
What Are Treatment Options for Urinary Incontinence?