The only medication you can buy over the counter would be an analgesic containing acetaminophen, such as Tylenol. This will help your discomfort while the prescription antibiotic takes effect. Aspirin is not recommended. Oral antibiotics, which are only available with a prescription, is the only thing that can treat a kidney infection.
- Q What are the long term effects of recurring kidney infections?
- Q Is a kidney infection contagious?
- Q How do other illnesses affect a kidney infection?
- Q Is a kidney infection serious?
- Q Are there side effects to treatment of a kidney infection?
- Q Is a kidney infection serious for older adults?