When is the best time to stretch?

Most doctors suggest stretching at the end of your activity, when your muscles are warm. A five-minute slow walk or jog to warm up before each exercise session is recommended. The warm-up will raise your heart rate and core body temperature, as well as pump blood into the large muscle groups, getting them ready to work.

The cool-down phase of your activity is especially important in protecting you from exercise injury. Spend five minutes slowing your movements down to a gentle walk. This lowers your heart rate. Then take 10 minutes for a post-cool-down stretch. It's this step that many people skip but which can increase flexibility and help you injury-proof yourself.
The best time to stretch is early in the morning before you start your day. This sets the length of the muscle for the remainder of the day, allowing you to move more freely without restriction or pain. Perform dynamic stretches in the morning. These consist of bodyweight exercises such as prisoner squats, lunges, push-ups with a rotation, etc. In the evening, perform static stretching for the muscles you stretched in the morning. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

How do I do the helicopter?
How do I do the helicopter? To perform helicopter with bands, stand facing the bands, so the affixed...
How do I perform a standing outer hamstring stretch?
How do I perform a standing outer hamstring stretch? Stand on one leg and cross your other leg on a ...
Is cardio or circuit training better?
Is cardio or circuit training better? Both are important components of a well rounded fitness progra...
What are the three main types of exercise?
What are the three main types of exercise? Learn more from our experts about the three main types of...