When I do leg raise abdominal exercises I feel burning in my hips, why?

Brian Yee
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
The burning in your hips, when doing a leg raise for your abdominals, may possibly due to:

1. Muscle fatigue
2. Hip impingement
3. Nerve entrapment
4. Osteitis Pubis
5. Inguinal/Sports Hernia
6. Sacroiliac Joint Instability

Please consult with a Physical Therapist or qualified Health Practitioner to rule out its cause.

When you perform any type of leg raises you have to activate your hip flexors in order to lift your legs. Your abdominals do not do this motion, so you are really exercising your hip flexors. These muscles run under your abdominals, connecting on your spine. The burning sensation you feel is your hip muscles fatiguing. Use caution when doing leg raise exercises. A safer, alternate abdominal exercise is the plank, ball crunch, or reverse crunch.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.