What does zero trans fat mean on food labels?

Toby Smithson

Trans fats are one type of fatty acid formed during the processing of partial hydrogenation. They are found naturally in some foods but mostly from foods that are partially hydrogenated. Trans fats act like saturated fat in the body and tend to raise blood cholesterol levels. A food label that indicates 0 trans fats means the product has less than .5 grams of trans fat per serving. Therefore, it is important to check the serving size of the product you are consuming.

Continue Learning about Trans Fats

What are trans-fatty acids?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Trans-fatty acids (trans fats) are a harmful type of manufactured fat produced from unsaturated ...
What is trans fat?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Transfat is the hydrogenation of vegetable oil and is more likely to be converted by the body into c...
Why should I avoid trans fats?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Trans fats are similar in structure to saturated fats and also raise levels of LDL cholesterol and t...
How can trans fats affect my mood?
Dr. Peter Bongiorno, NDDr. Peter Bongiorno, ND
A recent Spanish study looked at more than 12,000 people. It revealed a 48% increase in rates of d...