My hands get tired and sore after I lift weights, what can I do?

Alleviate tired and sore hands after resistance training or anytime by performing a form of self-massage, called self-myofascial release (SMR), on the palms of your hands and forearms using a golf ball.   Similar to massage, self-myofascial release is useful for locating and relaxing tender spots or 'knots' within your muscles that can be overactive and when irritated, will cause an increase in tension.  To perform SMR on your hand, place the golf ball on a firm surface and position it under the palm of your hand.  Next, while applying gentle pressure into the golf ball, simply roll the ball around underneath your hand making sure to focus on any tender spots.  To address the forearms muscles, roll the golf ball on the topside and underside of your forearms with the opposite hand.  Alternatively, if the golf ball creates too much pressure or discomfort, you can perform these same techniques with a tennis ball to decrease the intensity.   

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Strong Arms for a Longer Life
Strong Arms for a Longer Life
Study after study reveals that muscle tone in the arms is a significant predictor of longevity and a younger RealAge (strong grip strength, pecs, core...
How do I do the trapezius-strengthening exercise?
Unless performed as a combination, there is no one single exercise that strengthens the entire t...
5 Moves to Tone Your Bat Wings (aka Arm Flab)
5 Moves to Tone Your Bat Wings (aka Arm Flab)5 Moves to Tone Your Bat Wings (aka Arm Flab)5 Moves to Tone Your Bat Wings (aka Arm Flab)5 Moves to Tone Your Bat Wings (aka Arm Flab)
Tighten your triceps—and more—with these proven fat fighters.
How Strength Training Helps Your Health
How Strength Training Helps Your Health