Should I wear an ankle brace if I have a sprained ankle?

Andrew S. Levy, MD
Sports Medicine
Ankle braces, particularly stirrup models, are the best treatment in the acute phase (first 3 weeks) of an ankle sprain. Research has shown that these braces combined with therapy and weightbearing will result in faster, stronger recovery. After the first 3 weeks it is best to protect the ankle with a sports brace or taping for at least 3 months for athletic participation.
A brace can be a helpful tool to wear if you have sprained your ankle. An ankle brace will support your ankle when you walk and your foot flexes. An ankle brace can help prevent you from spraining your ankle again. The brace should support the outside and inside of your ankle, preventing the rolling motion that is often the cause of a sprained ankle. The decision to wear a brace can be left up to the comfort of whomever has to wear it.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
Don’t be a Turkey this Turkey Bowl Season
Dr. Mike’s Cleveland Clinic sees plenty; so does Dr. Oz’s New York Presbyterian Hospital -- emergency room visits for sprains, broken bones, contusion...
How can I treat a sprained rib muscle that's making it hard to breathe?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Pain relievers, topical treatments, and cough suppressants can help treat a sprained rib muscle that...
How do I know if I need an x-ray of my injured ankle?
CareNowCareNow
Typically an x-ray would be ordered based on your doctor’s findings during the examination of your i...