How soon can I play sports after an ankle sprain?

Andrew S. Levy, MD
Sports Medicine
It depends on the sport, the position within the sport and how severe the sprain. Prior to being cleared to play, an athlete should be able to hop on the ball of the foot 10 times. This can be done with the ankle braced or taped. On average return is 2-6 weeks, with high ankle sprains 6-10 weeks.

Continue Learning about Sprains and Strains

Weekend Warrior: Simple Self-Care for Minor Strains, Sprains and Bruises
Whether you're an athlete or a semi-out-of-shape desk lounger who hasn't seen a gym in months, soft-tissue injuries (think strains, sprains, and bruis...
When should I go to a doctor for a sprain or strain?
When should I go to a doctor for a sprain or strain? If there is any possibility that a bone is bro...
Why should I avoid wearing a neck brace for a minor neck sprain?
Why should I avoid wearing a neck brace for a minor neck sprain? Years ago, soft neck collars were r...
How is a sprain diagnosed?
How is a sprain diagnosed? Doctors may diagnose a sprain using a combination of methods. Learn more ...