What should I expect after a spinal tap?

After a lumbar puncture (spinal tap), you will be instructed to lie flat on your back, stomach, or side for four to six hours. Your blood pressure, pulse, and puncture site will be checked according to your doctor's orders.

Once you are home, you will need to lie down and rest for the remainder of the day. Drink plenty of fluids, preferably with caffeine.

After lumbar puncture, some patients suffer from headaches. These headaches may be caused by leakage of spinal fluid at the puncture site. That is why it is important to follow your doctor's orders to lie flat and rest. Call your doctor if the headache is severe and unrelieved by acetaminophen (Tylenol) and rest in a dark quiet place.

If you have any questions or concerns, call your doctor or the clinic where the procedure was done.

Continue Learning about Spinal Tap

What is a cerebral spinal fluid analysis (spinal tap)?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
A lumbar puncture, or spinal tap, is a procedure where a needle is inserted into a space within ...
What should I expect during a spinal tap?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
During a lumbar puncture (spinal tap), two body positions allow the widest space in the spinal colum...
Will I feel pain during a lumbar puncture?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
A lumbar puncture (LP) -- also called a spinal tap -- is scary but not at all dangerous, and most ti...
What can I expect during a lumbar puncture?
Usually during a lumbar puncture (LP) -- also called a spinal tap -- the person will lay on their si...