How long does influenza type A last?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The first symptoms of influenza type A, including fever, chills, headache and body aches, often begin to go away after about 2 or 3 days. In some cases, these symptoms will last 5 days or longer. The respiratory symptoms of influenza type A, such as coughing, throat irritation and congestion may last for days or weeks. However, most people are not contagious after about a week from the beginning of symptoms.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Best Way to Stay Healthy? Call In Sick
Best Way to Stay Healthy? Call In Sick
Next time you get a sore throat and sniffles, here's how to avoid can't-get-out-of-bed misery later: Stay home. Clocking into your job when you don’t...
What You Need to Know About ‘Stomach Flu’
Sometimes it seems like kids and germs go together like peanut butter and jelly. And once summer comes to an end and a new school year begins, many pa...
Can I get the flu if I've had a flu shot?
The risk of getting the flu after taking the flu shot is low. Learn more from our experts about the ...
When should I see a doctor for a cold or flu if I'm pregnant?
If you are pregnant, you should call your healthcare provider immediately if you have flu symptoms t...