Am I more at risk for skin cancer than my grandparents were?

The sunlight our skin absorbs is harsher than it was in the past. As the ozone layer has depleted, the holes that now exist let more of the sun's UV rays reach the Earth. This, in addition to the fact that today's fashions leave more skin exposed, means you need to be more careful than your grandparents did.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.

Continue Learning about Skin Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

How does sun exposure damage skin?
Sunlight consists of two main types of ultraviolet (UV) rays that damage skin -- UVA and UVB ray...
Are tanning salons all right for young people to use?
Young people may be unaware of the potential dangers of tanning salons because UV radiation effects ...
How likely am I to develop skin cancer?
Jeanine B. Downie, MDJeanine B. Downie, MD
Between 40% and 50% of Americans who live to age 65 will have some type of skin cancer at least ...
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?
What Increases My Risk for Skin Cancer?