Why do people cry after orgasm?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
People cry with orgasms for lots of reasons, and not just with their first. Deeply loving orgasms -- orgasms that have involved a lot of build up, orgasms that function as a stress reliever, barbiturate, or sedative, or orgasms that you feel ambivalent about -- are all examples of orgasms in the context of emotional intensity, and they’re all potential sources of post-orgasm weeping.

See, crying is about intensity, not valence. It doesn’t matter what you feel, it’s how much you feel. People weep with joy as well as with sorrow. It’s simply the release of intense emotions. Orgasm too is the release of intense emotion -- indeed, orgasm research often characterized in the psychology literature as emotion research.

Of course it’s crucial to check in with the person and listen carefully and empathically, to see if they’re in distress and need help, but if they’re just letting go of some intensity, it’s a super opportunity to bond.

Continue Learning about Orgasm

What happens to a man's body when he achieves an orgasm?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
The four-stage model for understanding male sexual response is excitement, plateau, orgasm, and resp...
Is one sexual position better than another for conception?
Good In BedGood In Bed
There’s no scientific evidence to support the use of some sexual positions over others in concep...
Where Are My Partner's Erogenous Zones?
Where Are My Partner's Erogenous Zones?
What Causes an Orgasm?
What Causes an Orgasm?