What is the role of neurotransmitters in premature ejaculation?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
The neurotransmitters (chemical messengers) serotonin and dopamine appear to be involved in premature ejaculation (PE). Serotonin increases ejaculatory threshold and delays ejaculation and orgasm while dopamine decreases them. The proper balance of both neurotransmitters is necessary for optimal sexual function. Men with PE have been shown to have lower levels of serotonin, which may help explain why they ejaculate too quickly.

Continue Learning about Premature Ejaculation

How do I know if I have premature ejaculation?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
To find out whether you probably have premature ejaculation (PE), answer the following questions: ...
Why is it important for me to manage my premature ejaculation?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
It is important to manage premature ejaculation (PE), as when a guy suffers from PE he’s rarely able...
Does Premature Ejaculation Get Better Over Time?
How Might a Man React to Having Premature Ejaculation?