What should I do if my partner doesn't want sex but still masturbates?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
Both women and men may want to masturbate but not want sex because having interest in sex is not the same as having interest in having an orgasm. The nice thing about masturbation or a vibrator is that it can provide a quick, easy, complication-free orgasm.

Separate the masturbation from the lack of sex -- I really believe they’re not related. It’s just not in the same category as sex with you.

Talk to him or her about finding a way back to a sexual connection with you. What works for many couples is agreeing to non-sexual touching a few nights a week. Women are more likely to feel interested in sex after foreplay has started.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Life After Mastectomy: Sex, Self-Image and Strategies for Coping
A woman’s breasts are one obvious sign of femininity and can be a source of great sexual pleasure for her and her partner. But when a woman is diagnos...
How does food affect sexual desire?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
A healthy, nutritionally sound diet supports a healthy mind and a healthy body that support a health...
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Two medications have been approved to treat female sexual dysfunction—but do they really work?
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?