What are the physical effects of sexual abstinence?

Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing

Sexual abstinence has physical effects. Normally sexually-active men may have nocturnal emissions again. The nature of dreams may become more sexual in response to drive changes and lack of opportunity for expression. People can become more irritable, angry or stressed. Eventually, if abstinence persists, the physical effects diminish, hormone levels adapt and desire fades.

Hilda Y. Hutcherson, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

The less sex you have, the less you tend to want it. When you go without sex for a while, levels of the critical hormone testosterone drop, in both men and women. Lower testosterone means a lower sex drive.

The Good in Bed Guide to Sex and the Baby Years

Available at a substantial discount for a limited time only, thanks to support from K-Y(R) Brand!Once you get down to the business of baby-making, the advice will pour in: books, magazines, in-laws,...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

not satisfied in bed ? your partner can tell
at those times when it just not happening for you in bed , “going along to get along ” might seem like the polite thing to do . but if you think you’r...
the sexual side effects of antidepressants
if you suffer from depression , the goal of taking medications is to help put you on the right path to overcome your symptoms . but navigating that ro...
how can i boost my sexual drive ?
how can i boost my sexual drive ?
what body parts should i focus on to stimulate my partner ?