What is idiosyncratic masturbation in men with delayed ejaculation?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Frequent masturbation can lead some guys with delayed ejaculation (DE) to develop what's called an idiosyncratic masturbatory style: They get so used to using a specific kind of rhythm and pressure to get themselves off alone that they have trouble climaxing with a real partner. As a result, these men can only get past the point of no return via oral sex, or manual stimulation (usually their own).
Sari Cooper
Sexual Health

Many boys begin masturbating during the puberty years and sometimes they develop a unique style of masturbation either due to rushing because they don't want to "get caught" or because they found something that works for them. In any case, this unique or idiosyncratic style may not be conducive to being touched by a partner or by intercourse and therefore they can't reach the arousal threshold they need to in order to climax.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Study Finds Women Prefer Taller Men
Study Finds Women Prefer Taller Men
The next time that special lady catches your eye, ask yourself: Am I tall enough to be her man? One study published in the Journal of Family Issues fo...
How can I tell if a man is sexually attracted to me?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Men are hard-wired to respond to sexual attraction. It is possible that all men will find you sexual...
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
You can improve your health just by being intimate.
How Can Aging Affect a Sexual Relationship?