Is it emotionally safe to sleep with multiple partners?

Paul  Hokemeyer, PhD
Marriage & Family Therapy

No. It's not emotionally safe for a number of reasons. First, sleeping with multiple partners is a set up for anger, resentment and jealousy (fear that something you have will be taken away). These emotions break down our self-esteem and make us feel rotten. Second, sex is most fulfilling when it's based on a relationship of trust and intimacy. It's difficult, if not impossible, to have these when you are having sex with multiple partners. Third, multiple partners increase your chances of contracting multiple STDs. This increased risk creates anxiety and regret, both of which are unsafe emotions.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Top 10 Sex Boosters and Busters
Top 10 Sex Boosters and BustersTop 10 Sex Boosters and BustersTop 10 Sex Boosters and BustersTop 10 Sex Boosters and Busters
If your love life has gone flat, these secrets can give you some extra fizz. Looking for ways to spice up your love life? There's no reason not to, si...
Does Size Matter?
Does Size Matter?
How Can I Get My Partner in the Mood for Sex?
Why Should I Share Sexual Fantasies With My Partner?